Arlo’s subscription plans are worth the investment if you want a comprehensive home security system. You can get some basic features without a paid plan too.
Let’s dive in to learn more details about Arlo hardware products, cameras, and subscription plans.
Arlo is a familiar brand for security cameras, doorbells, and home security systems in the US. It provides software and hardware tools for personal and home security needs.
You can use Arlo cameras for indoor and outdoor security features. Its cloud storage plans allow you to record and save video recordings for up to 30 days.
You can enjoy a free software plan with basic features and upgrade to paid plans with more features, higher video quality, and other security features.
Arlo offers the following products:
- Arlo Secure is the software package for your security system.
- Security Cameras
- Floodlight Cameras
- Arlo Safe is a personal safety tool.
- Security System and Camera Accessories.
Arlo offers an all-in-one security solution through its cameras and built-in software. You can enjoy discounts on its online shopping portal and bundle purchases too.
Arlo Subscription Plans
Arlo has a free version of its security software, “Arlo Secure.” This basic plan offers limited tools as compared to its paid subscription plans.
Here are a few key features of the free plan:
- It allows a maximum of 5 security cameras.
- There are no cloud storage options for the free plan.
- The video resolution is basic, up to 2k.
- It comes with a two-way audio option.
- You can get live video and motion detection features for security cameras.
Here are some key features of the Arlo Secure Subscription plan:
- The single-camera subscription is $4.99, and for unlimited cameras $12.99.
- It offers video recordings in cloud storage for up to 30 days.
- The video quality has been upgraded to 4K resolution for all plans.
- Smart notifications and audio alerts for alarms.
- Selection of smart security zones.
- Priority customer care.
- Most cameras come with motion-detection video recording rather than 24/7 live recording to preserve camera batteries.
Arlo Secure Plus
The secure plus subscription model comes with the following features:
- It costs $17.99 per month for unlimited cameras.
- It covers all the basic security features of the “secure” plan discussed above.
- It comes with a 24/7 emergency response from an expert security monitoring team.
- Most cameras come with a motion-detection video recording option under this plan too.
Arlo Secure & Safe
The Arlo Secure & Safe plan comes with all the security features of the first two subscription plans discussed above.
The additional features of this plan include the following:
- Enhanced video recording features like verification and escalation.
- 24/7 security monitoring by professionals.
- Cellular and battery backups.
- Instant alerts to emergency contacts.
- One Tap Safety feature from the “Arlo Safety” program.
- Car accident alerts.
- Family place, check-in, and monitoring alerts.
- Up to 20% saving on insurance plans.
Is Arlo Security Camera Subscription Worth It?
The short answer is that Arlo subscription plans are worth it. The Arlo Secure subscription plan is the only method to get video recordings in cloud storage.
You cannot store video recordings with the free plan. Otherwise, you must buy your cloud or physical video storage and use Arlo cameras only as hardware products.
Then, you get unlimited cameras with the same plan that offers an added advantage compared to its competitors. Considering the overall security features, the hardware quality, and the video recording backup, the paid plans are worth the price.
You can upgrade to the premium plan if you want to enjoy additional security features like a one-tap alert, family monitoring, personal security protection, car accident alerts, and 24/7 monitoring.
Can I Use Arlo Cameras Without a Payment Plan?
Yes, you can use Arlo cameras without a subscription plan too. You can buy the hardware from Arlo, including cameras, doorbells, floodlight cameras, and accessories, without subscribing to its security software plans.
You have two options if you do not subscribe to an Arlo payment plan.
The first is to remain content with the basic security features like live video monitoring, fundamental security alerts, and motion detection alerts without saving the video recordings to the cloud storage.
The second option is to arrange the video recording memory separately in an SD memory card or buy a cloud storage plan. Also, you can use up to 5 security cameras without a paid plan.
Although Arlo is upgrading the video recording quality to 4K for all of its subscription plans, it’s unclear whether the free version will also get the same quality.
Which Arlo Payment Plan is the Best?
The Arlo Secure and Safety plan is its premium subscription and the best one with loads of security features. However, the best option depends on your home security needs.
If you stay in your house most of the time, then a free or basic “secure” plan will suffice your needs. Also, depending on your house size, you can install up to 5 cameras in the free plan.
Its premium subscription plan should offer the best solution if you are looking for a comprehensive home and personal security solution.
For instance, the premium plan gives you instant alerts to emergency contacts. Similarly, it offers family monitoring, car crash alert, and one-tap safety button options.
Arlo is announcing yearly plans for customers looking for a long-term subscription plan. Annual plans will come with extra savings and offer more features to all customers.
Pros and Cons of Using Arlo Payment Plans
Let us discuss some significant pros and cons of using an Arlo payment plan.
- It provides a holistic security control system, including hardware and software, for your home and personal security needs.
- It offers quality hardware products and security cameras, most of which are wireless.
- You get a free plan plus the choice to choose from three subscription plans.
- Arlo offers special discounts on purchases through its website.
- Its premium plans allow the use of an unlimited number of cameras.
- It combines home and unique security features.
- You get instant emergency alerts for personal and home security issues like fire, theft, car accident, and personal safety challenges.
- The premium plans come with 24/7 monitoring from professional security experts.
- The 24/7 emergency protection response and several other security features are available with the priciest plan only.
- Security features like smoke detection, water leakage detection, night vision recording, and others come only with specific cameras.
- Wireless cameras often come with short battery life issues, and a backup of 12 hours may not be sufficient in certain situations.
- Advanced security features like motion detection or night vision only come with expensive camera models.
10 Best Alternatives to Arlo Security Camera Subscription
1. Blink XT2– An Affordable Camera System with No Subscription Needed
2. Wyze Cam Pan– A Robust and Inexpensive Security Solution
3. Netgear Arlo Pro 2– The Best, Most Feature-Rich Option Available
4. Nest Cam Outdoor– Stream Your Home’s Security to Your Phone
5. Amcrest UltraHD 4 K– An 8 MP Security Camera With Lots of Features
6. Ring Spotlight Cam Battery– Monitor Activities Around Your Home Easily
7. Reolink Argus 2– A Wireless Security Camera
for Flexible Placement
8. Zmodo Wireless Outdoor Home Security Cameras– Easy to Set Up & Monitor Remotely
9. D – Link Omna 180– A High – Resolution Indoor / Outdoor Video Camera
10. iSmart Alarm Spot HD video camera– An All-In-One Smart Surveillance Solution